Saturday, July 9, 2011

Populaire Kick-Off

Today was the first of the LBC Populaires. This is a trial series of events to see if there is sufficient interest in having the club host a full P-12. The RBA and I have decided to do these as social and intro to randonnuering events. With good food and post ride socializing, we hope to get a decent following.

This first event went well, with an outstanding turnout of 38 riders, most of which completed the course with not issues. There were a few lost brevet cards and a pair of people just missed the time limit.

The fairly challenging, but scenic route, offered a great intro for the new riders. I was one of the first-timers. Despite the fact that I've never done a brevet before, I was one of the driving forces behind the event, taking care of the marketing end (drumming up interest) and helping to get club approval to put it on.

I was a bit astonished at how long I took, mostly at how long I wasn't moving. One hour and forty minutes my bike sat still. Massive waste of time. While these are social rides, I need to be a bit more deliberate in how I spend my time. I will have to learn that by the next Populaire, a route which I planned. I have no choice, as the next route has 50% more climbing than today. If I waste as much time as I did today, I'll not make the time limit.

1 comment:

  1. 50% more climbing than the last. Hmmm. That's pretty "climby". Sorry to miss and hope to make the next.

    ReplyDelete