Beast, my 99 Trek 930, was never light. While I removed the stock suspension fork (also not light) and replaced it with a Surly 1x1 rigid fork (lighter, but still not featherweight), it's still well north of 20lbs. As I normally ride it, with fenders, a Nashbar Mini Rack and matching bag that has tubes, tools and other stuff, it tips the scales at around 32lbs (plus water)
Interestingly, that not much heavier than the normal as-ridden weight of my aluminum road bike. Of course, it has fenders, bags and such as well. By "not much" I mean about a single pound.
Start adding in stuff to be self-supported for a 100mile gravel road race in October in MN and suddenly it get really heavy. Current estimate is about 45lbs heavy (this time counting water, but not counting the water in my 2L hydration pack). 13lbs heavier. A bit over 8lbs of which is water. 3.5L (plus bottles)...and that's assuming I don't decide that a total of 5.5L is cutting it too close for 100 miles. It will have to be pretty cool, or I may have to find a way to carry more.
Currently the spare tire, 3 tubes, tools, puncture kit, spare quick-link, and first aid, and other personal items packed are all in the front bag. In a Jandd frame pack is the 2L bladder, with the small pocket having some energy bars. I like having this there, as it really helps to balance the bike and all the front weight means the front tire doesn't tend to lift on climbs. I have a Profile bento box mounted at the stem, it'll hold about 10 gel packs. That's usually more than I need for a century, but I know it won't be enough for one where there are no other food sources than what is on my bike. In the rear is a Carradice Super C Saddlepack. It's listed at 5L capacity. The plan for this is food and clothing. Clothes will depend on the weather of course. Food is going to be a trick to figure out. I'll need something calorie packed, shelf stable (as the start time means it'll be packed in the bag the night before), and satisfying.
Oh, and if I want to keep the bike under 45lbs, I only have room for 3lbs of clothes and food. I have this feeling that my hopes to take along a change of socks and gloves might be nixed to make weight.
No comments:
Post a Comment