Today I rode Beast 100 miles (okay 95 point something to be technical) for the first time. Beast was, as I tend to ride it these days, fully loaded. I averaged 15.7 mph...for the first half, after that I slowed considerably. Final average moving speed was 14.6ish. Add in stops and it took me 8.5 hours to go the distance.
How much of that slowness was the weight of the bike, and how much was me not being ready for that distance on that bike, how much was the heat (it hit 95F) and how much was just stupidity (like not riding enough during the week, poor nutrition preride, poor feeding strategy during the ride.) I'm sure i will never know.
There were sections of flat road where I was only moving 8-9mph. I felt horrible, mostly about keeping the RC out that long. I had thoughts of throwing in the towel and calling for a ride, but didn't actually want to give up, just didn't want anyone else watching me being so out of sorts. I was actually quite cheerful and my attitude stayed positive throughout, the there is that. I knew I could make the distance, just had no idea how long it might take me. I had hoped for a sub 8 hour century and will have to keep working to make that goal, as I hope that a sub 8 hour road century will translate to a sub-10 hour gravel century.
No comments:
Post a Comment