Wednesday, July 6, 2016

GAP and C&O Day 3

the story continues...

Waking on Thursday, I got to making coffee and trying to figure out where the nearest bike shop may be to get my broken pannier taken care of.


Very long paved section just barely clinging to the cliffs.

The first town I came across was Shepherdstown, WV, which requires a very long and fairly steep climb up a twisty path to reach the bridge to cross the river

about half-way up the climb
 Once into town, I found the map that listed most of the services cyclists would need, including a bike shop, Shepherdstown Pedal and Paddle, where I got hooked up with a bolt and nut and tools to fix my pannier. This was not the first of these panniers to suffer this same problem (the rivet on the lower hook rail pulling out), but the other was in a crash, so having it happen while riding was a bit of a surprise, but one I knew how to deal with. After getting that taken care of, I thanked them, bought a new pair of gloves (my others has shredded themselves), and a couple energy bars, and went across the street and had some breakfast/lunch at Shepherdstown Sweet Shop Bakery before heading on my way




After a while it was time to seek out lunch, which ended up being a two pronged affair, as the lunch at the pizza place in Brunswick was so foul, I couldn't eat it and just left. Happily, Deli on the Rocks in Point of Rocks, MD was much better. Really highly recommended.



Hiking the Appalachian Trail (width-wise, not length-wise)




people keep telling me that this is a bad spot for the light, but with the exception of bug splatter from traveling hundreds of miles on the roof of my car, not a single speck of dirt has landed upon it.





these herons let me get rather closer than I'm used to


this was an owl I disturbed who was feeding next to the trail, who then flew up to the branch to give me the eye

This last section of the days riding was really filed with wildlife: juvenile red fox, turtles, heron, deer, and many different owl calls. It was also really a joy to ride fast. Sadly right as I crossed to road to Whites Ferry, I realized I had a flat. Upon closer inspection, I found the tyre had failed, as the casing cords were broken and had rubbed holes in the tube. Luckily I was carrying a spare tyre, and could be quickly on my way.

The flat took a bit of the wind out of my sails, and I decided to stop at Horsepen Branch Hiker/Biker for a quick snack. That snack turned into a decision to quickly set up camp, as my phone started going crazy with severe weather alerts. It turned out to be the worst lightning storm I've ever been out in, with lightning striking so close, I could make out the bolts through the solid tent fabric, and there was zero delay between the strike and the thunder. It went on like this for over an hour, the whole time during which I'm also battling a cloud of mosquitoes who managed to follow me into my tent. My hands were stained red with my own blood by the time I'd manged to take care of the horde.

It was really one of the most miserable nights I've spent camping.

Up next: D.C.


1 comment:

  1. Front and center, with no obstructions, is the very best place for a bicycle headlight.

    ReplyDelete