Friday, July 1, 2016

GAP and C&O Canal Tour Day 1

I know, I know, I haven't blogged in forever, but I figured I'd at least put up some pics and tell some stories from my recent trip. So here goes:

I had been in the middle of a 3 week vacation, starting in the Twin Cities visiting friends, then driving to Ohiopyle, PA to start riding both the GAP and C&O Canal trails, stretching from Pittsburgh to D.C. Why they odd place to start in the middle? Well, I didn't want to arrive in D.C. on the weekend, so I'd have a chance to meet up with a friend, and also there is free parking at this location, something I was unlikely to find in either Pitt or D.C.



While I had hoped to arrive, get my car checked in and bike loaded up by 11am or so, it was closer to 2pm when I finally got rolling. With a planned 90 miles, plus any additional off route to get food and such, it was looking like a long day-into-night to get to where I was headed.

first ride pic at the Ohiopyle Visitors Center (bents, because I know some people like them)


Leaving Ohiopyle and heading East towards D.C., you start by heading uphill, for around 56 miles. It's such a gentle climb though that my GPS wasn't even registering the grade.

First town I pass through

Youghiogheny River at Confluence


Casselman River at Confluence


Pinkerton High Bridge
I happened across these two gentlemen on this bridge, and after stopping to chat with them for a moment, found out they were fellow randos, who were doing this as a credit card tour (meaning no camping, staying in hotel instead), I would see them off and on and ride with them a bit over the course of the day. When they went on as I was turning off path to get lunch they promised me a beer if I should happen to make it to the restaurant they were planning on dining at in Cumberland. I told them I planned on collecting.




Salisbury Viaduct 2000' long and 100' high and crossing large valley, a river, two highways (old and new Route 219s), and an ex-B&O CSX main line. Yeah it's impressive. and a bit un-nerving.



Meyersdale, PA Visitor's center and GAP gift shoppe







Big Savage Tunnel. I really wish I had one of those wooden train whistles.




Borden Tunnel

Brush Tunnel - yes, it's still active


this bridge is active, too
Shortly after this pic, I arrived at the Crabby Pig to collect my beer. Sadly I only managed the one, and no food, as they were already doing last call when I arrived. I had hoped that we would get a chance to ride together some more, but somehow we never crossed paths again. I hope they had a great ride.

Beginning the C&O Canal


As I transitioned from the GAP to the C&O, I found the surface conditions worsened, a bit more suddenly than I expected. I had planned another 15 miles past Cumberland to camp at Pigman's Ferry, but instead called it a night at Evritt's Creek after only 4.

Up next Day2

No comments:

Post a Comment