Tim and David joined me, with a couple more intending to go, but other things got in the way.
I was more than a bit worried about the ride. I had heard there was a section of single track somewhere on the course, and I have little experience off road, and none on the new bike. The weather was also a concern, with the forecast having been calling for rain for nearly a week, and there having been rain for much of that time. Temps were also not going to be in my favor, pushing 60 with predicted wet weather is in that odd shoulder area where you just can't dress comfortably. I was hoping for colder. 40s would suit me fine. The rain would hold off, but the temps stayed. I'll call it a wash.
I packed and double checked I had all my gear loaded in the van the night before: Bike, helmet, hat, sweatcap, thin socks, heavy socks, shoecovers, armwarmers, wool gloves, mid-weight gloves and wool liners, jacket, windvest, heavy wool layer, shoes, pump, bottles, hydration pack, fuel, sunglasses. I laid out my other clothes the night before: bibshorts, midweight tights, compression tee, short sleeve wool, baggy knickers (mostly for wearing in and out of stores on the road) more socks and sandals. I had pretty much every clothing option available to me that I was willing to subject to the expected conditions.
The morning came quickly, with my alarm set for 5:30 and coffee and breakfast done and out the door by 6:10. A two hour drive to follow.
Upon arriving, I quickly spot Tim, but go ahead and go straight for the registration line before heading over to greet he and Dave, only to end up about 3 people behind Tim in line. The line moves quickly and I head back to the van to get the bike ready and make final clothing choices. Heavy socks, armwarmers and the short sleeve wool. Grab another banana and roll over to where David and Tim are.

Shortly the racer meeting starts, with descriptions of the course, rules of the road, etc. It seems to have done little good, as when the racers go to line up they do so in two very different areas, one at the correct point behind the SRAM pace vehicle, and the other group rides up to the top of the hill and main road. A few minutes of yelling to get people in the proper position and soon we roll out, only about 7 minutes past the official start time.

At this point Tim and Dave, who had both started off a bit harder than I, were nowhere to be seen, having dropped me before we had even gotten back on course. I go ahead and assume that either I'll see them at the checkpoints, or I won't and ride my ride.
I start finding my legs around mile 15 or so, and pass some people here and there on climbs, start getting used to the type of gravel under the tires and start bombing the descents. I run across another rider I've chatted with a bit before when doing the Old Kentucky Home Tour. We chat for several miles talking about our bikes and the shops we each work for, finally catching Dave, who had stopped to nibble on some food.
At the first checkpoint, I see Dave turn around immediately, so I follow suit, in an attempt to continue trying to ride with the group, only to see he was riding back to meet up with Tim, who had stopped there to fuel up. We each shove down our respective "food" of choice and roll off.
At this point my legs are feeling the best they will all day, and my confidence in my bike on these roads is running high. I tuck into a group only find that their pace just isn't to my liking, a bit too cautious down, and too plodding up. I decide to let my legs do what they want to do and just enjoy it. I start passing people, a good number of people, actually. Rather interesting feeling, actually. Not something I'm used to, being about 60lbs heavier than your average cyclist, and probably another 20 above most racers. I quickly reach the Fire Tower SAG and wait for Tim and Dave, who arrive shortly. We all opt to not partake of the swill, and leave quickly, with my legs still feeling good. I continue letting my body go at whatever rate it feels like going and soon hit Combs "Road".

Combs started out fairly navigable, and well within my skill-level, but quickly showed itself to be far above and beyond my experience. The muddy stream crossings were pretty manageable, riding through all on the way out, though walking one or two on the way back as they had become much more rutted by that point. The steep muddy climbs were more than I could keep traction on, and the tree crossings were something I had no intention of trying.
At some point on the way out, a low branch extended across the trail (road?) and, though I thought I'd gotten down enough to clear it, banged my helmet on it, and veered off the course and had the bike slide out from under me. I landed hard on my shoulder and clanked my helmet hard enough to give me a headache the rest of the day. Tim had already passed me at this point, having much more MTB experience than I, though I will catch and pass him once back on gravel on the way to the final checkpoint in Story.


As I catch up to him, I realize I have a minor problem, I'm out of water, having miscalculated how much I had left in my hydration pack leaving Story. He graciously offers to share half a bottle with me, and it makes a world of difference in how my legs feel. I push it on the last series of rollers and roll into camp for the finish.
My GPS showed a total time of 6:05, how that will stand up to my official time, we'll see. Regardless, I had a great time. The course was fun and challenging and at times brutal. As a first event of the type, it seems to offer a great mix of vital experience, to show what needs to be improved if one wishes to attempt the longer gravel races of the type (Almanzo, Ragnarok, DK200, TransIowa, etc)
How did my setup do? Pretty well, I can't think of many major changes I'd make.
I could go up to a 42 on the big ring, and down to a 24 or 26 on the small, but even those wouldn't make a difference on many places on the course.
If conditions were wetter, some more aggressive tires might help, but the Kozmik Lite IIs were so nice on the rest of the route, I'm not sure I'd change, even if I had to walk most of Combs.
Some more MTB like shoes, as the Touring types I wore just didn't have the tread for walking up the muddy sections (and I don't like messing up the suede) Toe spikes might even be handy.
Summary: Gravel is great and I look forward to doing more of these types of event.




No comments:
Post a Comment