Sunday, November 10, 2013

Gravel Adventure Rides

As part of my rehab effort and to get back in race shape, I've decided to add a series of rides to the LBC schedule. Today was the first such ride. 35 miles out of Marengo, IN.

11 hearty souls decided to give this gravely goodness a go. All said they had a great time and would definitely be back for more.

The day started out on a beautiful November morning and was warm considering the time of year. We left heading South-West, and much like the rest of the day would go, started uphill to gain altitude for a downhill run at the first gravel section. It felt odd leading a club ride from the front, but this allowed me to regroup the riders at intersections, turns and the top of climbs making sure no one got off track or left behind.

Suddenly, we were sweeping down the first section of gravel through Bogard Hollow, a quick regroup where we crossed a road and we had our first water crossing, which everyone managed without getting dunked!





Bogard Hollow ends in a short climb, then we turned onto Magnolia to reclaim altitude on pavement. Again we reach the top and turn onto gravel and descend, this time the fast and wide Seaton Hill Rd into Grantsburg. A steady 2 mile paved climb up 237 brings us to Zahn Rd, which seems innocent enough at first, but soon turns downhill. What starts as fairly deep and fresh gravel, soon turns to rutted and leaf-covered dirt and rocks. We regroup at the bottom, where we are amazed that there is an actual road sign.

We reach Tunnel Hill Rd, where they have happily paved the bottom, steepest part of the climb, then are treated to about 3 steady miles of beautiful, rolling gravel.

At the top again, we turn onto busy and boring IN-64, but after a quick 0.2 miles we take a left and to quote another rider "Fall down the rabbit hole" onto Longest Rd. a full 2.5 mile downhill run of gravel, mud and water crossings galore. I have video from this winter, I'll add here at some point.

A quick stop at the gas station in English, IN (which, luckily, was open!) and we're heading uphill again. Soon, we're zooming down a paved road coming up to the road around the reservoir, where I'm asked "Aren't reservoirs typically at the top of hills?" Ummm, quite often.

The road around is rather muddy and quite fun. I'm just a big kid splashing right through instead of riding around each puddle. As we get to the climb up, the road turns to rocky and rutted, forcing nearly everyone to walk.

The climb to the top of Reservoir Rd:


After that it's just a couple miles of rolling and wide gravel and a few more of paved and we're back at the ride start.

"I feel like I've just been hit by a truck full of awesome."- Kirk Roggenkamp.



and here's the route we rode




Next week: New Washington, IN.










2 comments:

  1. Great post! Hope we'll be seeing you at the Sub-9 Gravel Grovel on Saturday, November 30 in Norman, IN. "Mother Nature's Cyclocross Race through the Hoosier National Forest and Beyond!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! This will be my third year. I seem to get slower each year, though I have also doubled on-course beer consumption...but I don't think that has anything to do with me being slow.

      Delete